World Challenge Malaysia and Borneo

12:41

Hello! 

Wow it's been a long time since I've posted... ops! I should have posted before I went away, but from July 14th and August 12th I had been in Malaysia and Borneo on my World Challenge trip I've previously posted about.



Before

After


I thought I'd make a post saying what I got up to, what skills I've developed and basically to share my photos with whoever actually reads my posts!


We had an 11 hour flight from Heathrow to Hong Kong, then 2-3 hours from HK to Kualar Lumpur (Malaysia). We stayed on some islands for just over a week and I did my Open water diving course and we did our first project there, which was turtle conservation! It was amazing to say the least!





 

The Hatchery



After these 9 days we went back to mainland Malaysia and did some touristy stuff, like going up the Kualar Lumpur tower, visiting the Petronus towers and seeing the Batu Caves - it was pretty fun!











On the 27th July we travelled to Borneo (Sabah - Kota Kinubalu) which was around a 2 1/2 hour flight.





We did our 4 day trek, which went a lot better than I thought it would! We then did white water rafting which was super fun.









 




We then moved on to our last phase - the community project. It was such lovely weather when we arrived and we were meant to be doing a sports day with the local school but unfortunately there was a typhoon that lasted a few days, so that didn't happen! However, we did donate all the sports day things we bought and some stationary to the school and we also dug a trench around the classrooms as they were flooding with all the rain. We also did a few other tasks whilst we were there.








Straight after we went to Sepilok (Orang-utan rehabilitation centre and Sunbear conservation) and we spent two days/nights there. It was really good, and the baby/toddler orang-utans were hilarious!










We then went back to Kota Kinibalu and chilled/did some shopping for the first day back, then on our last day on the expedition we went to an island called Sapi and did some sunbathing and did our end of expedition review. It was a lovely way to end the trip!












I had such an amazing time and I have developed many skills including my organisational skills, social skills, my confidence and ability to talk to new people and money management skills!

Our team really worked well together and bonded more as the trip went on - which was fab!



Thanks for reading - I really do promise I will post more! I have a few ideas in mind for posts, especially as I start University next month!!!

Love, Emily x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe